Monday, March 21, 2011

Nationwide Tour - (Lafayette, LA) - Monday Qualifier

Score: 69

Today was the Monday Qualifier for the Nationwide Tour event in Lafayette, LA. Since you can see my score, you can tell that I played pretty well. Unfortunately, it looks like I'm going to miss a playoff by 1 stroke. There are about 90 guys for 7 spots and 68 is in as of right now. There are still people out there playing that teed off in the afternoon, but the winds are picking up and I doubt the number goes much lower. At the end of the day, it may take 67 but either way I'll be on the outside looking in.

It's frustrating that for the second time, one hole is going to cost me a chance at playing in a major tournament. Last year, I made double-bogey on the 12th hole at the PGA Tour Zurich Classic qualifier to miss by a shot and this time I made double-bogey on the 12th hole of a Nationwide Tour qualifier to miss by a shot.

The day started off pretty well. I missed a few good looks at birdie on holes #2, #3 and #5. Then, I 3-putted the par-5 6th from about 15ft. The two footer I had coming back for par went down in the hole and back out right at me. But from there, I strung together 5 straight birdies. The putter was hot to say the least. However, the 12th hole was the one road block of the day. It's a difficult hole, about 420yards into the wind with water and out-of-bounds surrounding the fairway. I pulled my drive just a hair and the wind made it turn over just a yard to far and ended up in the water. From there it was a struggle and four shots later I was in for a double-bogey 6.

That put me back at -2 under for the day and I knew that wasn't going to be good enough. I managed to birdie the par-5 14th and then gave myself good chances from about 12ft and closer on holes #15, #17 and #18. Unfortunately, I just wasn't able to get any of them to fall and finished the day at -3 under par (69).

Overall, it was still a good day and anytime I can post a number in the 60's I'll be happy. I've just got to find a way to clean up my rounds in these one day qualifiers and then I might find myself teeing it up with the big boys some day. Once we realized I wasn't going to make, Erika and I drove over to Lake Charles, LA to get ready for the next Adam's Tour event which starts Wednesday.

No comments:

Post a Comment