Thursday, May 19, 2011

U.S. Open Qualifier

Score: 78

Not the round I was hoping that's for sure. I started out missing a 3 footer for par on #1, missing a 10 footer for birdie on #2, and 3-putting for par on #3 after hitting the par-5 in two. So, instead of being -1 or -2 under after three holes, I was +1 over. It was a familiar scenario to the way I've started a lot of rounds in the past. From a ball striking stand point, I hit the ball pretty well all day. There was definitely a noticeable difference with my irons after making the changes on Sunday. I was also very pleased with the way I hit my driver throughout the whole day.

The main story of the day was the 36 putts I had. It was easily the worst putting round I've had since getting my new putter a couple months ago. The greens were in excellent condition and lightning fast, but usually those are the kind that I like. At the end of the round, I had been shut out from making any birdies...never a good sign.

There were two instances in the last few holes where I was left with plugged lies in the bunker, and because of that, I made two doubles to finish the round. So, even though the score was bad it was merely an issue of putting and a couple bad breaks that caused all the trouble. After seeing that -1 under made it through, I really wish I could of made one of those first few putts starting out because I feel like it would of set a totally different tone for the rest of the day. But, they didn't and so it's back to work again.

This week I'll be practicing and playing as usual before leaving town this Sunday. My in-laws have set up a family trip to Las Vegas so I'll be there for most of next week. It's my first time to Vegas so I'm really looking forward to the trip. Rounds at Shadow Creek and Cascata are on the agenda so, for me, that's what I'm excited about the most. This trip couldn't come at a better time, because when we get back, I've got 4 tournaments in the next 5 weeks. June will be a busy month to say the least.

No comments:

Post a Comment